A Camphor Laurel hall table Part1.

I was ask by my Auntie to make her a natural edge piece for the new house she had just built. With a open brief – there only requirement was to have a natural edge – no mention of table, no mention of draws, width, length, timber – nothing. It only had to include a natural edge.

I asked her where she wanted to place the piece and it was by the front entrance of the house.

So this is my process of making her a piece.

IMG_2920.JPGIMG_2917.JPG

Its starts off with some slabs of Camphor Laurel. I purchased these slabs over 8 years ago and have left to air dry for all these years. I didn’t buy them for this project – I just buy nice pieces of woods to someday make them into something special. I like Camphor Laurel because it cuts like butter and is easy to work, but more importantly I love the natural smell of the wood. Camphor Laurel is a highly prized timber in Japan and China where the tree originates from.

IMG_2922.JPG

I use my Festool Track saw to break down the slab into manageable bits. The slab thickness is 50mm. I didn’t take the cut in one pass, I clamped down the track down with the clamps and cut the 50mm over 3 passes. I love my track saw and wonder how I ever did without it.

When your using the Festool Track Saw, you really should over hang the track about 200mm on each end of the timber. This track that I am using is too short. It didn’t really bother me this time around because I am just rough cutting the wood into smaller more manageable pieces.

IMG_2928.JPGIMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

The grain of the Camphor is very very pretty. Lots of blond and red streaks coming through.

 

 

 

 

Vacuum press in action


I normally press my veneers on with clamps. This time round I wasn’t having as much success as I use to so I decided to switch over to using the vacuum press. 

It’s is surprisingly easy to use and simple to get thing where to where they need to go. I have forgotten how easy the process is, so I must do it more often.

Veneering up the MDF door


The cabinet is all done so I am now fixing on the veneer onto the MDF that will be the cabinet doors. 

It’s going to be a frameless door so I can’t use solid timber. Solid timber will warp and distort so it is unsuitable for a frameless door. 

I use a home made spreader to apply the glue. It is made from a scrap aluminum with notches filed in with a file. The notches are about 2mm deep about 2mm apart. 

The veneer is figured Myrtle and looks much better than the original Blackwood door that I made.  

It’s been a long time since my last post. 

Ok I’m back. I know it’s been a long time since my last post. I was side tracked with my store moving premises and have been focusing in on Instagram and Facebook rather than blogging

Well I am back into it so you will see me blogging regularly again. 

I’m at an exciting time in my journey. A new big challenge or destination has presented itself to me and I am going to grab it with both hands and run with it. 

It’s all going to start with the store renovation. That will take a few months so in the mean time I’m going to sneak another furniture project in before the renos start. 
DavidxLim

The document box now has a suede insert. 

Ok. I got the box lines with spray on suede. 

I love the finish. 

For those that was asking about the depth of the tray, I have lifted the bottles out to show you why they are so deep. 

Anyone want me to make a video on how the suede was applied?

DavidxLim.

    
 

Document box almost complete

For box makers, a good set of routers is so valuable. My Trition Tools TRA001 router has proven itself invaluable again. It is a tool that keeps on giving. Woodworking is such a joy when you have the right tools. 

This is what I have been working on the last few weeks. 

It is a large box made out of birds eye Huon Pine veneer top and bottom,and solid Huon Pine sides. 
It houses 2 Roman Harvest fountain pens kits and a wax seal kit. 

The box is pretty much complete, all I need to do is line the base of the box with flock to make it pretty. 
I would say about 50% of the box was made on the router table
DavidxLim. 

   
       

Workbench top is all finished. 

Finally got the top of the work bench all finished. 

There was a lot of piss farting around to fit the tail vice on properly but was all worth it in the end. 

Last step is to give it all a sand down and oil it with Danish oil. 
I should have it all finished by next weekend. Would have it fished this weekend but I have too many birthday parties to go to this weekend. 

DavidxLim